This blog presents a series of short stories, listed below in reverse chronological order.


About Me

My photo
I am an Oklahoma academic with an interest in creative writing.

Subscribe to My Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

20. Home Again, Home Again

            Dessert consisted of a delicious pineapple upside down cake, which Esteban had made. We then retired to the den to play Simon by the fire and snack on Cheez-Its in delicate Irish crystal bowls. Ma’am had continued her odd old lady rants, but we all just smiled along. Thad had continuing to be rather mum, which forced me to be more talkative, but I veered us away from all controversial topics. Thus a large portion of game time was spent with Ma’am and I having a long conversation about the pros and cons of raising orchids.
About the time that I noticed the drumming of Thad’s fingers had reached a percussive level, he began eyeing me nervously.
Taking his cue I yawned and said, “Gosh, all that great food has really made me tired.”
Thad rose instinctively, “Well, if you’re that tired, we should go.”
“So soon?” Ma’am looked up, terror in her eyes. “I still have your old Merlin we can play.”
“Oh, that’s sweet, but it’s getting late,” Thad said shuffling toward the door.
Esteban helped Ma’am up and then exited the room. 
“But we’ve had the best time,” I said.
"Oh, yes," she said quietly.  
We slowly walked with Ma’am back to the entry hall. 

“Are you sure you have to go?” Ma’am asked, her voice quivering. She looked at Thad like she might never see him again.
 “Yes, but it’s been wonderful.” Thad bent to kiss her on the forehead. “I’ll see you next Saturday for Christmas at Mom and Dad’s. And maybe we can have lunch again soon, just you and me.”
“Yes, and you can bring your friend, Michael, if you want.” She turned to me, “It was very nice meeting you.” Ma’am smiled a wide smile and I returned it.
“I would like that.” I said, extending my hand, “It was very nice meeting you. I had a lovely time. And have a Merry Christmas.” 
“Oh, pooh! Here…” Ma’am shuffled forward to grab me; it was like being hugged by a hundred doves. I hugged her back, careful not to break her.
Esteban walked in and handed us our coats and then exited without a goodbye.
“We’ll see you Ma’am.” Thad opened the big front door and the night air blew in. The outdoor spotlights shone like tremendous fireflies alighting on the evening yard.
We walked to the car as Ma’am stood in the door and waved.
As the car doors shut, Thad revved up the engine and barked, “I am dying for a cigarette. Let’s get the Hell outta here.”
As we drove off, the waving silhouette of Ma’am remained in the light of the doorway until we could no longer see the house.

  We were hardly out of sight of Ma’am’s before I could just take it any longer; I had to say something, to end this silence, to make up for last night.
“Look,” I began, “I know that you’re mad at me for last night still. I can just tell. I mean you hardly spoke in there. I know what I did was wrong, but I apologized, and I hope you will forgive me. I just wish when I had called last night you had answered your phone, then I wouldn’t have freaked out like that. But I did, and I am sorry. But you just have to remember we’ve had a lot of bad experiences in the past, with a lot of alcohol-infused lies and a lot of fights, and that didn’t end too far back, so I am still sensitive, and some times I just freak-out. You know that. But I am sorry, and I hope it didn’t ruin your evening tonight.”
          “What the hell are you talking about, Michael?”
          “About last night? About why you have been so cold to me today and tonight…”
          “Dude!” he laughed, “You got it so wrong!” He laughed again, slapping the steering wheel.
          “What?” I said defensively, “What do you mean?”
          “You just got it all wrong. You know it’s not always just about you, right?”
          “Yeah, and?”I snapped, not enjoying being laughed at.  
          “Okay, okay. Last night in front of Bettina I was kinda embarassed but then once I got home and thought about it, it was cute that you would stomp over and throw such a little priss fit over me. I mean it shows you really care about me. And Bettina was ugly just because she just jealous she didn’t have someone screaming and jumping around at her door over her. So, I mean, don’t do it again because it does make you look crazy, but we’re fine there.”
          “Oh,” I looked at him like I had never met him before. It was so bizarre that he was just as messed-up as I was. “So why were you a freak all day then?”
          Pulling us onto the interstate he shook his head, “Naw. It’s nothing…”
          “Thaddeus, please.”
          “This was just….” He started slowly, then began again. “This was just the first time I’ve ever introduced anyone to my family, you know. It just was a big deal. I was nervous, especially since Ma’am has gone kinda crazy lately and you never know what she’ll say. But it went great and now I just want to get home because I’m just dying for a cigarette.”
          Tears filled my eyes. I had it all wrong; it was all just the opposite. And I had almost ruined the entire day with my crazy fit last night. I was the first to meet his family, and I had spent all day and this evening torturing myself inside over nothing. And everything wasn’t just fine, but better than fine. Tears ran down my face.
          “Are you crying?” he asked sardonically.
          “Yes.”
          “Why?” he said, exasperated.
          “Because I love you, and I’m sorry I was such a monster last night and I am so happy that you wanted me to meet your family, and I am so happy that we are both crazy, but at least our crazy parts fit together.”
          “I love you too,” he laughed.  
          He took my hand and we held them clasped for most of the drive home, talking and laughing about our crazy evening with Ma’am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your comments.